Friday 27 November 2009

ANALOG FEBRUARY 1964

Cover painting by John Schoenherr.

Interior illustration from Frank Herbert's Dune World by John Schoenherr.
"She sensed a first diminishing of the dark. It began with shadows. Dimensions separated, became new thorns of awareness."
Interior illustration from Frank Herbert's Dune World by John Schoenherr.
 "There was a table. Leto saw the table quite clearly. And a gross fat man on the other side of the table, the remains of a meal in front of him. Leto felt himself sitting in a chair across from the fat man, felt the chains, the straps that held him into the chair."
Interior illustration from Frank Herbert's Dune World by John Schoenherr. 
"She had never before seen the man who entered and stood beside the Baron, but the face was vaguely familiar - narrow and with hawk features."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your scans for this Analog DUNE series have been much larger and sharper than your previous posts, and as a fan of John Schoenherr, I very much appreciate the extra size and detail.

Thank you for posting them!


Mark

Unknown said...

You're welcome! :) I'm planning to go back and re-do a lot of the b&w Schoenherr art I've previously put up so watch this space.

Anonymous said...

I will!

Thank you!




Mark

GD said...

As usual, these are great scans and I think you for sharing them with us. I must have missed this one. Does Leto have a Mohawk? The second drawing is rather strange, considering the other Piter de Vries Schoenherr drew for us. That's my favourite character in Dune and I always criticise his interpretation more than the other characters. While I think the other Piter I linked to by John is dead-on and arguably the most accurate representation I've seen of him, the piece for Analog has a lot of mood. It shows us Jessica's point of view during the scene, in a manner - at least I think. I like what John did here, by incorporating the mood and thoughts of that passage in the book for the visual. Very creepy and effective.

I'd buy a collected Dune works of Schoenherr book in a heartbeat.

Unknown said...

Hi Geoff - and thanks! Haha, yes John drew Leto with a Mohawk! Quite a brave move I think, especially given the time that these illustrations were made, as for Piter, Brad Dourif ruined any imagination I might have had regarding his appearance - the illustration from the Dune Encyclopaedia looks good to me though ;)
PS. Yeah it's a shame there's no Schoenherr art-book around, I'm sure he's got a large enough following and some of this work needs to be seen by more people - Dune fans especially!