Monday 12 March 2012

JUPITER LAUGHS

Coronet paperback, 1981. Cover design credited to David Cox
Studios. Painting is by Fred Gambino.

"Required: one Doomsday weapon capable of ironing out the whole human race. It was a tall order, but then I thought I had a rather tall solution. Oddly enough, several of my junior scientists were quite enthusiastic about the project. They came up with such wild schemes as indestructible viruses, radio-activity and saturation devices, even anti-gravity fields large enough to drain the planet of its atmosphere and so choke us all to death. I dismissed the more original and enthusiastic members of my team. Such people seemed to me to be rather dangerous. 
Besides, by this time I had an idea of my own. It was elegantly simple..."

Contents:

Jupiter Laughs
Falcon Chase
The Life and Death of Plunky Goo
The Menhir
The Doomsday Story
Tomorrow's Gift
The Jar of Latakia
The Unicorn
Ninteen Ninety-four
M 81: Ursa Major
The Brain Child
Welcome Home
Judgment Day
The Butterflies

No comments: